Sunday, September 14, 2008

Movie Freak

“It’s difficult to understand the sum of a person’s life.

Some people will tell you it’s measured by the ones left behind.

Some believe it can be measured in faith.

Some say by love.

Other folks say life has no meaning at all.”


Morgan Freeman


If you have seen the movie “The Bucket List”, you will be familiar with that phrase. It begins at the end. It seems strange to start a movie with the end. But all endings are beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.


Do you already think by now this fella is already on the wrong track? No, no, no. Don’t run away. Stay with me. I will not talk about movies. I will not talk about how awesome they are and why they deserve five stars. I will not talk about how they dazzle you and why you like to borrow perceptions from them. I don’t usually talk about things that you already realized or noticed. I don’t usually do the questions that you already know the answers.


I just want to talk about how I feel...Yeah, how I feel about them, the flawless movies which deeply interest me, and how dare they influence me. I want to tell you how much I internalize their opinions. I know what you are thinking. This bloke is a freak. Particularly a movie freak. Particularly a movie freak who enjoys movies alone. It is shame in blood but I admit that I am. I’m a movie freak. If I find them to my liking, I will simply just internalize and adopt their perspectives as my own. I can watch a movie a thousand times over that I profoundly fixate. I still enjoy watching it in the last time as same as I did in the first time. I prefer to watch a movie that totally dazzled me and took my breath away along with its cast at the end than a new one which I am not very sure myself to find it to my liking. As a direct consequence I end up watching my favorites again and again, and over and over.


F.Y.I, I mostly watch drama. Not Korean or Japanese Love drama. Love, Love, Love... You know what… they just can’t simply burst out from the cocoon. In a matter of fact, they are unconsciously rated by the amount of tears shed away. The more tears streaming down, the more thumb-ups awarded in return. They just soothe weak souls for God’s sake. Rooms are full with softness. Trust me your soul will simply burnout and turn into ashes if you internalize them enough. That is totally absurd. Damn! I’m already pessimistic enough and digressing from my topic. Alright, I’ll just let it go.


Anyway, where was I? Ahh.. favourite movie part, alright. Let me tell you what happened when I tried to introduce my very dramatic drama to others. A few months ago, I had visitors at my house. I tried to entertain them in an act of hospitality. So I showed them my favourite drama namely “Big Fish”. It is about a father who loves to tell stories in a slightly exaggerated manner but they really happened throughout his life. Basically, when he starts to tell a story, time rewinds and shows the moments. In a way, the story line is not thrilling, no bandits robbing Swiss bank, no gun powder or no assassination at all. So what happened is that they simply get bored in very first twenty minutes while I was enjoying my fifth time of watching. It is obviously too far from them finding it to their liking. I was shocked and speechless.


Well, my bad of keenness to introduce those stuffs to them badly. But, what I want to confront is that this move is about a man’s life. It serves much higher purposes than those plane-hijacked movies. Our life is also a movie which is written, directed and acted by ourselves solely. It is like watching other man’s life in 90 mins. How could they easily get bored? Alright, never mind. Put it this way. Most people just want to be entertained. As long as they are amused in 90 mins of watching a rolling tape, just be it 1 or 5 stars. If not, the movie is deliberately wasting their time. Ain't I right?


So, what about you, fella? Do u also watch a movie for the sake of being entertained? If so, pass up my following favourite movies;


  1. Big Fish
  2. The Shawshank Redemption
  3. The Pianist
  4. The Bucket List
  5. Schlinder’s List
  6. Sleuth
  7. Dead Poet Society
  8. Into the wild


I’ll let notify you some more if I found new favourite ones. But not going to be very soon, as I told you the guy like me keeps watching his most liked movies a thousand times over.


GoodChild.

1 comments:

bee said...

those are some of my favorite movies too!

if you haven't already, you should watch Heartlands, Garden State, and Sherrybaby

they are all very real.
maybe you'll like them :)