Thursday, January 1, 2009

Last minute of 2008

A bottle of Tequila and shockingly deep belly buttons?
Nah.

Come on, who could possibly be that damn lucky while counting down the last 10 seconds of 2008? Well, who knows? Lucky few would have a chance to kiss their loves after watching fabulous bursting of fire works. At least, most people are fortunate enough to shout “Happy New Year!!!” to their friends or other faces nearby after counting. But when it comes to me, it was never that awfully simple. It left me a tall tale to tell.

Two bottles of Scotch, Chivas Regal, were a good kick for us to stand all night long on rough sands with bare feet. It was almost 11:00pm when cabs got Vivo. Hundreds of people were queuing at the escalator just to get on the third floor. All of them were pathetically desperate to get on it. The queue was unnecessarily long. Let me rephrase that. That was damn ridiculously long, the longest queue I have ever seen in this island republic. Some people even ended up in a fight. Lifts and escalators were shut down as a consequence of hunger. People are ready to eat each other to survive.

It was already 11:30pm when LRT stopped by at Beach Station. The party was at 20 minutes walking-distance away from the station and no one would be expecting that there would be another long queue waiting ahead for them. Queue, queue, queue and queue again. Why the hell did everyone end up in queuing? What is wrong with their goddamn management plan? I bet no one likes to pay 35 bucks to spend New Year Night in queuing. Not one bit, especially when among those wet and sweaty Indian guys who enjoyed too much in pushing around and staring at fair chicks who were unfortunately stuck near them in the crowd. No manner at all. That is gross and wildly inappropriate. That is totally absurd.

I know our minds tend to exaggerate others’ flaws, but that was a harsh truth going on down there. And the worst part of it is that I was standing just right among those bloody people when fire works burst up perfectly and redden the smoky sky. Unlucky two of my friends were also standing next to me right there and getting pushed. Thank God! I got a chance to say “Happy New Year!” to their faces at the right moment at least. Lucky me! By the time all of us met on the beach, both fire works and crazy high-pitch voices are already gone. What else could possibly worse than that in New Year?

Anyway, we had fun and danced 5 hours straight till exhausted at last. It has been 3 years I never went out in New Year Night. I was in a shower when last seconds of 2007 were being counted and just about to be 2008. For this time, I was among those sweaty guys. At next twelve months time, where would I possibly be?

Anyway ..

Happy New Year! Everybody. Have fun in 2009. :)

Goodchild.

0 comments: